Table of contents
How to configure an SPF record to work with Octopus Follow these easy steps to help you start using Octopus
On startup, Octopus comme pre-loaded with different templates.
However, some settings are specific to your organization and need to be configured before you can use the system in an efficient way.
To ease the transition, we invite you to consider, in order, the following advices.
1 - Import your users
Octopus forces you to identify a User for each incident or service request. The first action is to build your user list in the application. To that aim, more than one choices are offered:
- Manually create user account within Octopus.
- Import users contained in your Active Directory domain.
To perform an import, you can use the following method:
If you wish to synchronize your users with ADSIReader, please use the ADSIReader application.
For more details see the article ADSIReader - Integration to Active Directory.
For more information, please see the User Management article.
2 - Create Assignees
Once users have been imported, you can now convert users who will be accessing and using Octopus into Assignees.
To convert users into assignees, please see section the How to create an Octopus account? article.
3 - Configure general options
Once assignees are able to login to Octopus, some general options must be set in place..
3a - Set up the application email address
For Octopus to be able to automatically send emails without human intervention, an email address must be assigned and configured.
- Tools > Options > 1 - Email Options > Email address used by Octopus
- Fill in the assigned email address for exemple: ServiceDesk@CompanyName.ca
- To centralize all communications sent by Octopus to this address, check the Always use this address when sending emails box.
- If the option is not checked, the communications made in the activities by the Octopus user will have as sender the email address of the Octopus user.
- Press OK
3b - Set up the attachment folder
Octopus allows for file attachment in more than one module. Those files will be hosted on your server and the share path must be specified in the options.
- Tools > Options > 3 - Important general options > Network directory containing the attached files
- Specify the share name in UNC format (Exemple : \\server\share)
- Press OK
4 - Start creating requests
Octopus provides shortcuts to increase keying in incidents and service requests. When you receive calls, the most used method is to do the following:
- Press F3 - Opens the Users module
- Search or browse to select the correct user
- Press F4 - Opens the Incident or service request creation form.
For more information, please read the following articles:
5 - Create your infrastructure items
Octopus' true power resides in the relations than can be built between modules and how it relates to your infrastructure.
- Open the Configurations module
- Create your Workstations, Laptops, Servers, Printers and Softwares
- Assign the main contact to your infrastructure items
- Create the required relationships between your items (for exemple: which softwares are installed on which servers)
6 - Authorized our servers
- How to solve a proxy problem with Octopus server
- Email relaying configuration
- How to congure an SPF record to work with Octopus
7 - Explore our Wiki
Once kickstarted, you can now refer to the following Wiki articles to continue learning:
Thank you, your message has been sent.