Table of contents
Octopus can send automated emails to keep the users, internal and external assignees, and more informed of different situations. Therefore it is important that the information communicated be pertinent. But as most companies have their own terms and procedures we allow the configuration of most templates.
How to Configure Email Templates
- From the Tools > Options menu, go to the Email format section and validate that the Rich Text box is selected. For now "Plain Text" is still available, but it will be discontinued soon
- Click the link "Edit message..." beside the message you wish to configure.
Configuration in Normal Mode
You can write text directly in the window in normal mode using your choice of font, colour, etc.
Adding variables helps to customize the Octopus email templates. When the email is sent, the system replaces the variables with the real values.
To add a variable in an email template, position your cursor where you want the variable to be added in the text and press to bring up then selection window from which you can select the field to include in your template.
There are special variables available that you cannot get with , because they do not correspond to the name of a field. Some are only valid in certain types of notifications, so make sure that you test them in the context they will be used to validate your results.
For find out more about the special variables, you can consult the article Variables for Customizing Email Templates
Configuration in HTML Mode
If you are familiar with HTML, you can configure your message directly in the window or use a tool like Notepad++ and paste your code directly in the window.
If this configuration method is a bit more difficult for you we suggest you try using the free tool at the following site ckeditor.com/demo, you can edit your text on their site and the tool will convert in to HTML for you. Follow these steps to proceeed:
- From the message, select HTML mode and copy the contents of the message
- Go to http://ckeditor.com/demo
- In the tools bar, click on the button "Source", it will bring you into the HTML mode;
- Paste the contents that you copied in step 1
- In the tools bar, click on the button "Source" to go into edition mode
- Do your changes
- Click on the button "Source", to come back into HTML mode
- Copy/paste the HTML code into Octopus and come back to regular mode.
Improve your Email Templates
We believe the quality of email communications to users is very important and offers many benefits:
- Improves the image of the Team or Department
- Allow you to send information about how to proceed, reminders, etc.
To improve existing models and make them available to all your customers, the Octopus specialist team has developed models in a .HTML format that can be edited and reproduced in Octopus. User-friendly, they facilitate communications with users.
Below you will find email templates for:
- Octopus Automated Emails
- Access Management
They are built in .html and can be edited with Notepad++. Once displayed in a Web browser, you only need to copy / paste the results in the email model window.
Octopus General Emails
There are six (6) Octopus general email templates; to view them, click on the following links:
- Send a confirmation upon incident/SR creation
- Send a confirmation upon beginning of work on an incident/SR
- Send a confirmation upon incident/SR resolution
- Allow to send activities via email
- Automatic return for requests which have already been closed or cancelled
- Allow to send activities via email for supplier
To make changes, you can download the .htm files by clicking the following link: Octopus General Emails.
For those using the automated approval solution, here are the email templates offered:
- Approval Request (replying "yes" or "no" by email requires MailIntegration)
- Request approved
- Request refused
- Approver required
- Approval taken in charge
The system will generate a recurring reminder every two (2) days to a group of approvers or to an approver who fails to take charge or execute the approval task.
To make changes, you can download the .htm files by clicking the following link: Approval Email Templates.
We invite you to read the Automated approval - Reference Document wiki article for more information about the Octopus Automated Approval Solution.
Access Management used two (2) emails templates. They are generated when a connection is established between a HR external system and Octopus.
There are two (2) templates in the Octopus Options, located in the Emails to technician section. These can be customized without our help. They are:
- New task received by one of the groups to which the technician belongs
- Task assigned to a technician
To make changes, you can download the .htm files by clicking the following link:Access Management Email Templates.
We invite you to read the Automated Access Management Solution - Reference Document wiki article for more information about the Octopus Automated Access Management Solution.
Insert a Logo in Email Templates
To add your logo in your email templates, you must:
- Prepare your logo and save it as icone.production.image.jpg. You must make sure to size the image the size you want, because it will not be resized by the system (suggested width: about 200 pixels).
- Validate the name of your server to prepare the next step. Go to your Web portal and check the name of your server and the name of your DB, as indicated in the image bellow:
- Modify the .htm files with the information found in the previous step (with Notepad++) by adding the following lines:
<div style="text-align:center"> <img src="https://YourOctopusServerName/YourDBName/web/custom/icone.production.image.jpg"/> </div>
- Send us the file of the logo, because we need to put it in a specific directory for your database. Click on Contact us to make your request via our Web Portal.
Add Decorative Formating to Variables Contained in Email Templates
Octopus allows you to force a decorative format to text or a Web link.
Permited values are;
- upper: transforms the value of the varialbe in UPPER CASE
- lower: transforms the value of the varialbe in lower case
- hyperlink: transforms the value of the varialbe into a hyperlink
To do this, add the vertical bar "|" (pipe) caractere without the quotes, with no space between the token and the decorator.
As an exemple, using this variable wiht the fowllowing variable @Incident.BriefDescription|upper would transform the value of @Incident.BriefDescription in upper case. The title of the request (@incident.BriefDescription) would be sen in the email in upper case.
In the case of a hyperlink ( |hyperlink ), if the value is not empty, the result will have the HTML tag "a". ex: www.google.com becomes <a href="www.google.com">www.google.com</a>
Thank you, your message has been sent.